A few months back I started working on Dune 2 – The Maker again. After a while I made some progress, added a few features and fixed some bugs.

In general I achieved what I have set for a next release.

The past few weeks I have spent some long nights testing and mainly trying to fix this annoying crashing bug.

I also received help from Bruno – as he played through some early versions and provided me with a nice list of feedback (thanks a bunch!). Obvious blocking things like not being able to start the game.. (woops) and such.

Today I managed to pinpoint the crashing bug – which took a few long nights. Another round of testing is required to verify all is well.

I am hopeful that I can wrap this up and deliver a new version this year.

When that happens, it will be the official next release after DEMO 4 (which has 10+ years between these releases). The next version will be v0.5.

And even though there are many things that can be improved I am very happy be at this point.

In a way that makes me very happy and very proud.

Thanks to everyone reading/following D2TM.

#

Comments are closed

Want to support? Please consider donating via Kofi.

Path finding progress demo... made it so I use a priority_queue, did X4 speedup. Nice! https://dune2themaker.fundynamic.com/video/new_pathfinder_02.mp4 #indiedev #gamedev #d2tm #dune2

Path finding testing is done on a map (64x64) where only 1 possible path exists between two corners of the map. I also found a bug in the heuristic function - it would evaluate too many cells. With that sped up greatly, but still needs to be faster.

Spent more hours on path finding. Still too slow! (100/200ms for 1 unit, finding 1 path is SUPER SLOW (on complex map)). Need to shave off more milliseconds.

It is not so hard to implement a new pathfinding algorithm. The harder part is to make it perform properly. Especially when you send over groups of units. #indiedev #gamedev #dune2 #d2tm #remake

Load More...