You might wonder if there is any progress. Well, wonder no more, but enlight yourself with the google code updates link

So, in short, yes I am working pretty much on the project. I compare it a bit like a operating on a patient: multiple bypasses, a heart surgery, and much more still to be done.

However, although I have officially broken with the old code design and I’m trying to decouple as much of the components. (it really looks like spaghetti code with meatballs sometimes). It does mean I code a lot, but feature wise it will not be much better. In the end the code should be much easier to understand, maintain and so forth. This also means adding new features should be easier.

Currently I’m working on ‘getting skirmish to work again’ as I have broken serious initialization code in my previous commits. Once that works, I’ll fix up the drawing of the menu’s a bit and then release a new unstable.

Stay tuned!

Btw, thanks for visiting my blog post about refactoring. Looks like a lot of people read it. I’d like to hear what you think of it, so leave a comment or mail me. Thanks!

#

Comments are closed

Want to support? Please consider donating via Kofi.

Path finding progress demo... made it so I use a priority_queue, did X4 speedup. Nice! https://dune2themaker.fundynamic.com/video/new_pathfinder_02.mp4 #indiedev #gamedev #d2tm #dune2

Path finding testing is done on a map (64x64) where only 1 possible path exists between two corners of the map. I also found a bug in the heuristic function - it would evaluate too many cells. With that sped up greatly, but still needs to be faster.

Spent more hours on path finding. Still too slow! (100/200ms for 1 unit, finding 1 path is SUPER SLOW (on complex map)). Need to shave off more milliseconds.

It is not so hard to implement a new pathfinding algorithm. The harder part is to make it perform properly. Especially when you send over groups of units. #indiedev #gamedev #dune2 #d2tm #remake

Load More...